Last week has suddenly turned into last month. Where does the time go? In my case, June went to DevCon preparations and planning the future of the FileMaker Community. Thank you again to everyone who responded to the survey in early May and everyone who participated in Should the Community have a Document Repository and What don't you like about navigating the FileMaker Community? If you have any other ideas or suggestions on things that would improve the FileMaker Community, please share them in Community Feedback and Information. I promise that we are listening and building a sustainable plan for the future. I will share the roadmap as soon as I can.
My mid-year resolution is to reserve time every Monday morning to write a Last Week post. This week, I have a few announcements, and then I'll share the best things I've seen about portals for master-detail layouts in FileMaker 17 (the first in a series of posts about the new features in FileMaker 17).
FileMaker Certification update
The Developer Essentials for FileMaker 17 exam will be available soon. Once we announce that it is available, you will not be able to schedule an appointment to take the FileMaker 15 exam. This is your last chance to take the Developer Essentials for FileMaker 15 exam. If you have an appointment to take the 15 exam already scheduled, you will be able keep it, but you will not be able to reschedule it after we announce the FileMaker 17 exam.
FileMaker Developer Conference 2018 update
The conference rate at the Gaylord Texan Resort and Convention Center expires on Saturday, June 30. If you plan to attend the conference, book your room today to get the conference rate. Read DevCon DevCon DEVCON! for more updates about the conference.
Portals for master-detail layouts
This new feature has generated quite a bit of discussion in the Community and quite a few great resources from Community members.
FileMaker Community content that caught my eye
- DemoKit17 - Portals for master-detail layouts by jobway from FileMaker's world-wide evangelism team
- Filtering new master-detail portal v17 - This question sparked a good discussion about the feature
- How do you sort the new master-detail thing? - This also led to a good discussion
- Master-Detail needs Server 17? - Yes it does if you want to use this new feature in FileMaker WebDirect
- Master Detail Portal won't hide on WD 16.0.4 - A tip to hide the portal when using FileMaker WebDirect on an older server
- Following on from the master-detail portal - Drilling down into related data with a master-detail portal as the starting point
- FM17s new current table portal as Master Detail considerations - Discussion of when to use the new portal and when you may want to use a self-join portal
- Master Detail=Love - Appreciation
Blog posts by FileMaker partners and experts from around the web
- Master-Detail Layouts in FileMaker – beezwax > blog
- Portals for Master-Detail Layouts - LuminFire
- Master-detail Layouts - The Support Group
- Portals for Master-Detail Layouts - Skeleton Key
- Found Set Portals - IT Solutions
Videos by FileMaker partners and experts from around the web
- Introducing Master Detail - Soliant TV
- Customizing Master Detail - Soliant TV
- Master-Detail Layout (portal, self-join) - Productive Computing
- New portal features in FileMaker 17 - MainSpring
- Master Detail Ansicht | com2publish - In German
If you published original content about portals for master-detail layouts, please add a link in the comments.
To submit about other FileMaker 17 features for a future post, please send me a direct message.