FileMaker Community FAQs

Version 15
    How do I change my username for the FileMaker Community?
    • Click the drop-down next to your name/avatar (in the header bar).
    • Select Edit Profile from the Personal menu.
    • Select the Your Profile tab on the resulting page.
    • Locate the Change Username field near the bottom of the screen.
    • Enter a new username (no spaces please) and submit the form.

Your username is what other community members will see in your public profile and this change request requires one (1) working day to complete. You will receive a confirmation email once the request is approved. Please note that if you are also a FileMaker Business Alliance partner, changing your username for the FileMaker Community will also change the username for your login to access your FBA Company Profile.

How do I change my password for the FileMaker Community?

• Click the drop-down next to your name/avatar (in the header bar).
    • Select Change Password from the Personal menu.
    • Enter the requested information and submit the form

If you are a FileMaker Business Alliance partner please note that when you change your password for the FileMaker Community it does NOT change your password to access your FBA Company Profile. To change your FBA Company Profile password, please read “How Do I Update My FBA Company Profile”.

Why should I join the FileMaker Community?

The FileMaker Community is for any individual who wants to enhance their FileMaker skills and learn the latest in custom app development. Whether you’re just starting out, or have been developing databases for years, the FileMaker Community can help you get more out of FileMaker. And it's free of charge!

What do I receive by joining the FileMaker Community?

The FileMaker Community is a free-to-join community for individuals looking for technical resources.  By joining our community, you get access to technical resources such as technical briefs, white papers, how-to articles, invitations to exclusive web seminars, access to iOS development resources and more.  You also get access to the Discussion Forum where you can meet and exchange ideas with other FileMaker users and developers.

How do I join the FileMaker Community?

Simply go to: http://community.filemaker.com and follow the "Don't have an account?" instructions for creating an account. Within minutes, you should receive a confirmation email with a temporary username and password. Follow the instructions in the email and get immediate access to your resources.

What is the FileMaker Developer Subscription?

FileMaker Developer Subscription gives you access to free software and training materials as well as the opportunity to receive FileMaker software in advance of public release. A FileMaker Community account is required. The subscription is renewable annually for US$99.

What is the difference between the FileMaker Community and FileMaker Developer Subscription?

FileMaker Community is a free-to-join community for individuals looking for technical resources. FileMaker Developer Subscription is a paid subscription to select FileMaker Software. For US$99/annual, you receive pre-release software, FileMaker Server Development License, and an electronic version of the FileMaker Training Series: Advanced.  You must have a FileMaker Community account to be eligible to purchase the FileMaker Developer Subscription and get access to these great benefits.

Is priority telephone technical support included as part of the free program and/or FileMaker Developer Subscription?

No. However, you will have direct access to other FileMaker developers and technical experts from all over the world by participating in the Discussion Forums.

How do I access my FileMaker Developer Subscription software?

From the home page of the FileMaker Community, click on "Access Benefits" under the FileMaker Developer Subscription logo. The FileMaker Developer Subscription has an annual fee. Members must renew each year in order to use the software. If you allow your subscription to lapse, then you must uninstall the software. All software is delivered electronically.

Could you tell me more about the FileMaker Business Alliance?

The FileMaker Business Alliance (FBA) is designed exclusively for companies that provide products and services based on the FileMaker product line. This includes FileMaker consultants, trainers, publishers, commercial custom app providers, plug-in providers, and hosting companies. Companies looking to increase their business opportunities through exclusive sales and marketing support from FileMaker would benefit from FBA membership. The FBA provides a host of resources including promotional benefits, sales resources, co-marketing opportunities and product discounts to help you grow your business. Learn more

I have a FileMaker Developer Subscription, can I share it with my co-worker who would make better use of it?

The FileMaker Developer Subscription is for individual use only, and is non-transferable.

How will FileMaker know that I'm certified?

It is the responsibility of the individual to update their certification in the My Profile section of the FileMaker Community. See the document How To Report Your FileMaker Developer Certification.

If you do not know your registration number, please email tech_liaison@filemaker.com to obtain it.  Please note that it will take up to 72 hours for the system to verify certification entries.

How do I get the FileMaker Server Development License key?

From the FileMaker Community home page, click on "Access Benefits" under the FileMaker Developer Subscription logo. You will see your license keys if you have purchased the FileMaker Developer Subscription.

Why am I charged sales tax for my FileMaker Developer Subscription?

Sales tax is a complex and changing area, particularly with Internet sales transactions that involve electronic/physical delivery of software/content. The FileMaker Developer Subscription deliverables may include tangible items. Offering physical deliverables and discounts on products can trigger tax in many states. FileMaker has configured its systems to ensure that we collect and remit sales taxes where there is a chance that tax jurisdictions will ultimately find that sales tax is due. Membership in these programs is voluntary. If you have an issue with the way FileMaker has treated the taxability of these transactions, you can choose to not purchase the subscription.

If I allow my FileMaker Developer Subscription to lapse, can I continue to use the selected software received with my subscription?

The FileMaker Developer Subscription is an annual software subscription program so you must keep your subscription active in order to use the software. If you allow your subscription to lapse, then you must uninstall the software.