FMP 8.5, 9, 10, 11
    Formulations Pro
    Web: No
    File Type: PDF
    Server: Yes
    FileSize: ~ .6 megabytes
    http://www.formulationspro.com

Description

Anyone that administers FileMaker Server knows what a pain it is to backup the files to a remote drive or a file server. You can provide a valid backup path to a remote drive, but FileMaker Server will refuse to accept the path (Figure 1). So you might be wondering, what’s the point of being able to specify a path if you can’t send the backup files to a remote drive? I think we all agree that as an administrator we don’t want to rely upon expensive backup software such as Backup or Retrospect Remote to do the backups for us. We want to backup the files directly to the location of our choice. Until FileMaker resolves this problem we still have to use another application to move the files from the server to the remote backup drive.

For those of you that try to do everything with free resources and applications, you’ve come to the right place. Although I do use Backup as well as Retrospect Remote, if you own OS X Server, you need the more expensive server version of Retrospect Remote to run a scheduled backup. In today’s day and age, that is just not acceptable to me. Apple knows full well that server as well as client computers need routinely scheduled backups that run without third party software.

Since the release of OS X (10.4) there is a new application called Automator. Automator lets you drag-and-drop commands from various applications, including the Finder and iCal to create your own “scripts”. This is way easier than AppleScript. Now if you’re thinking what I’m thinking, you can get Automator to tell iCal to routinely take FileMaker Server’s backup folder and send it to a remote drive. What’s even better is that this works for both OS X and OS X Server without any paid third party software!

Code

Sample Input

Sample Output

Developer's Notes

See sample file for full demo and technical article.

FileMaker Inc. provides this content on an “As Is” basis, without any warranty, and subject to the terms of the FileMaker Technical Network Agreement. FileMaker makes no representations and is not liable for any content or related information. You may use the content as part of your own solutions and for your customers, but you may not otherwise publicly distribute any content that you did not submit. ©2009-2011 FileMaker, Inc. All Rights Reserved. FileMaker is a trademark of FileMaker, Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries.