FileMaker Pro gives you three different ways to view the data on a layout. You’ve seen the first two already, but the third one is new:
- Table View shows your data similarly to a spreadsheet. Your “Layout #2” is displayed in Table View.
- Form View displays individual records, like a data entry form. Your “Layout #1” is displayed in Form View. So is the “Customer Detail” layout you just created.
- List View is a hybrid of the other two. Like Table View, it displays a list of records. Like Form View, it allows you to customize the appearance of your layout.
Next you'll create a new layout using List View to display a list of customers. The steps here are very similar to those you followed when creating your form layout.
Create a List layout for a customized view of more than one customer at once.
- Choose the View menu > Layout Mode ⌘L or Ctrl-L
- Choose the Layouts menu > New Layout / Report ⌘N or Ctrl-N
Or click on New Layout / Report in the status toolbar.
- Name your layout “Customer List”.
- Choose the Touch Device option since you are designing for iPad.
- Then choose iPad from the various touch devices.
- Choose List from the various layout formats (Form, List and Table).
- In the lower left corner of the dialog box, choose the landscape icon:
- Click the Finish button.
A blank list layout is displayed. It might not look like it, but its dimensions have been set up for landscape orientation on iPad.
In List View, the body part is repeated for each record to fill the screen with a list of records. That’s why the body part looks so short in Layout mode:
- Delete the Header part by selecting it and then pressing the Delete (or Backspace) key.
This part is typically used for information presented at the top of a printed page. This layout will only be used for display on a computer or mobile device.
- Delete the Bottom Navigation part as well.