Headings and other visual cues will help orient your sales team as they navigate through your solution. Let's add a heading to the Customer Detail layout first.
Add a heading next to the logo image.
- Switch to the “Customer Detail” layout.
- Select the Text tool in the status toolbar (see screenshot).
- Drag a rectangle in the top navigation part to define a text object about a third of the width of the part.
A blinking insertion point appears, indicating that FileMaker Pro is ready for you to enter some text.
- Type Customer in the text object and click outside the object to cause your change to take effect.
Next set the heading so its horizontal alignment is to the left and its vertical alignment is in the center.
- If necessary, select the text object so you see the blue lines and handles around it.
Remember the Inspector? We’re going to use it to format the text of your heading, changing the font size and text alignment.
- Choose the View menu > Inspector ⌘I or Ctrl-I
The Inspector window appears.
- Switch to the Appearance tab of the Inspector.
- Locate the Text area (about halfway down).
- Enter the value 36 for the point size (circled below).
- Locate the Paragraph area (about 2/3 down).
You might have to scroll to find it.
- Select the settings for left-alignment and vertical center alignment (see below).
In the next step, we’ll add the salesperson’s name as well. That way each salesperson can know at a glance whether a given record is theirs.
- Select the Text tool in the status toolbar again.
- Drag another rectangle in the top navigation part to the right of your first text object.
- Type Rep: <<Salesperson>> in the text object and click outside the object to cause your change to take effect.
When you type a field name within double angle brackets, FileMaker interprets this as a merge field. In Browse mode, it will be replaced with the value of the field.
Note that if FileMaker doesn't recognize the field name, it will fail to interpret the value, displaying the literal text "<<Salesperson>>" instead.
- If necessary, use the Pointer tool to select the text object.
You should see the blue lines and handles around the text object.
- In the Text area of the Inspector, enter the value 24 for the point size (circled below).
- Also in the Text area, select Italic option (circled below).
- In the Paragraph area of the Inspector, select the settings for right-alignment and vertical center alignment (see below).
The result should look something like this.
- Adjust field size and alignment until everything looks good to you.
- Choose the View menu > Browse Mode ⌘B or Ctrl-B
- Admire the results.