Learn Goal 6 - Part 6: Get feedback from a coworker

Document created by Kedar on Dec 10, 2014Last modified by communitymanager on May 12, 2015
Version 17Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

User acceptance testing is a crucial phase of development where you verify that your solution works for the people who will use it. You want to make sure that you succeeded in addressing your business problem in a user-friendly and intuitive way.

Since this is an example solution, it doesn't make sense to conduct real user acceptance testing. But why not pretend with a coworker, just to become a little more familiar with the process?

After describing the scenario, let them explore the solution without a lot of explanation. You want to observe, without guiding them, what they find difficult to understand and what they find easy. These observations provide useful clues about where things could be improved.

Here’s what you might say to them to start:

“You are a salesperson in a landscaping company. Your job is to visit with customers (prospective and existing) to review contracts, get their signature, and talk about the time the company is spending on various services. I’d like you to try out this new mobile solution and let me know what you think of it. I can’t give you advice on how to use it: the idea is that while you explore it, you talk out loud about what makes sense to you and what doesn’t. I’ll take notes and try not to explain anything.”

Goal

Perform simple user testing of your solution to learn what works well and what needs improvement.

Steps

Just follow the instructions above. If you discover that things could be improved about the solution, imagine how you might make those changes. Which changes do you already know how to make, and which ones involve skills that you still need to learn?

When you have completed testing the material with your coworker, be sure to close the solution first on your iPad and then on your desktop. If you close the hosted file first, your iPad will lose its connection to the file and report an error.

Attachments

Outcomes