TechNet to FileMaker Community FAQ

Version 7

Welcome to the new FileMaker Community site. Below are questions you might have about the new site and features you won’t want to miss.

Please post any feedback, questions, or bugs in the Community Feedback discussion space.

What changes should I be aware of in the new FileMaker Community site?

The FileMaker Technical Network (TechNet) has been renamed “FileMaker Community”. All members of the TechNet program are now members of the FileMaker Community.

We have opened the FileMaker Community to be inclusive of all FileMaker users and skill levels. With the new community site, you can easily view new resources and new forum posts at a glance. The navigation and interface has been simplified to get to the information you need faster.

For example, new posts and resources are front and center on the home page. With one click you can easily jump in on a conversation, or ask a question.

We’ve also added community badges you can earn for participating and contributing to the community.

For those that are FileMaker Certified, you now have a special discussion forum to post and exchange information with other certified developers.

What is the impetus for the changes?

It was time for an upgrade. We wanted to improve the experience and usability of our community. The updated community should make it easier to get to important resources and get answers to your questions.

How does this compare to the current TechNet offerings?

Our plan is to continue to offer great resources to help the overall community continue to get better and better at building great FileMaker solutions. We look forward to an active and vibrant community more than ever before. FileMaker is committed to support users and developers by providing centralized resources that are easy to find, and to build an active community where you can share, learn, and get new ideas.

Do I have to sign up again to access the new FileMaker Community site?

No, if you were a member of TechNet, you will be able to use the same username and password to access the FileMaker Community.

Will my username change?

No, you will keep the same username and password as TechNet.

Where do I access my TechNet account?

TechNet has been discontinued and replaced with the FileMaker Community. All content from TechNet has been migrated to the FileMaker Community, so you can use your TechNet username and password to login to the community at community.filemaker.com.

How do I log in?

If you were a member of TechNet, you can continue to use the same username and password as TechNet.

How do I change my password if I forgot?

From the login page, there is an option for "I forgot my password". Provide us with your username or the email address you used when you registered, and you will receive an email on how to reset your password.

If you have forgotten your username, click "I forgot my username" from the same login page to receive an email with your username.

Will my profile information be moved to the new system? Photo, Profile info, Preferences, Certifications, etc…

Yes, all of your profile information has been migrated to the new system.

Certifications are now shown differently than on TechNet. From your Profile, clicking on More > Reputation will show you any badges you have received, including badges for each version of certification you have received.

If you would like your certifications to show up when someone hovers over your name, you can add any badge you have received to the "Me in 3". Hover over your badges on the right part of the Reputation page, and drag the badges you would like to show into the Me in 3 areas below.

Where did my Certification logo go?

Certifications are represented by “badges” in the new FileMaker Community site. From your Profile, clicking on More > Reputation will show you any badges you have received, including badges for each version of certification you have received.

If you would like your certifications to show up when someone hovers over your name, you can add any badge you have received to the "Me in 3". Hover over your badges on the right part of the Reputation page, and drag the badges you would like to show into the Me in 3 areas below.

If you've forgotten how to report a new certification, see How To Report Your FileMaker Developer Certification.

Will my existing TechNet Forum Posts/Private Messages follow me to the new system?

All discussions, replies, comments, and messages from TechNet has been migrated into the new FileMaker Community. Your messages can be found by clicking on your name in the navigation bar and selecting "Inbox & Activity".

Many of the previous forums have been consolidated into a single Discussions area, which can be accessed from the main navigation.

Where are my FileMaker Business Alliance (FBA) and FileMaker Developer Subscription (FDS) resources now? Where are all my resources?

Members of FBA or FDS can find links to their resources from the right sidebar of the home page.

For FDS members, click "Access Benefits" under the FileMaker Developer Subscriber area of the right sidebar. This will take you to the membership page with renewal information, links to your software and benefits, and your software license keys.

For FBA members, click "Access Benefits" under the FBA area of the right sidebar. This will take you to the membership page with renewal information, links to your software and benefits, and your software license keys. You can also access your FBA space for member resources and the FBA forum by clicking "Go to FBA Space".

My software license keys are no longer in my profile. Where are they?

For FDS or FBA members, click "Access Benefits" in the right sidebar of the home page of the community. This will take you to the membership page with renewal information, links to your software and benefits, and your software license keys.

As a member of FDS, will my FileMaker Server Development License software keys follow me to the new system?

Yes, you can now find your software license keys by clicking "Access Benefits" in the right sidebar of the home page of the community. This will take you to the membership page with renewal information, links to your software and benefits, and your software license keys.

Do my FBA or FDS benefits change with the update? (will I gain more or get fewer benefits)?

Your benefits will not change with the launch of the FileMaker Community.

Why are my RSS feeds no longer updating?

The main Developer Forum discussion spaces have been replaced by new spaces. All of the discussions have moved to this new area. You will need to update to the new spaces' RSS feeds. For Discussions, click on "Discussions" in the header, then click "View Feeds" under the Actions area of the right sidebar. From this page, select the feed you would like to use.

How can I participate in Discussions via email?

There are two options for participating in Discussions via email. In order to receive email for all things happening in Discussions, click the "Follow" link in the upper right corner of the Discussions page, and choose to follow in your "Inbox". Then click your name and select "Preferences" and be sure you are receiving email notifications for your inbox. Replying to emails sent this way will show as comments to the original discussion.

To create a new discussion via email, go to the Discussions page and click "Create by email" in the Actions area of the right sidebar. Select "Discussions" and click "Email Vcards". This will send a Vcard to your email that you can add to your address book. To create a new discussion, send an email to the email address in this Vcard, and a new discussion will be created for you.