I have using Filemaker Server 13 and designed my databases in Filemaker Pro 13 Advanced.
While connecting to the server through web direct through the internet , I am getting excessive refresh screens .
When I tab from field to field or go from record to record, it stops to refresh for about 10 seconds with around 5 distinct refresh operations where I see the little spinning while like thing while the screen goes grey.
Same thing happens when I click anywhere on screen and also while entering data into portals .
This occurs only on the internet . Web direct on our LAN (intranet) works perfectly fine .
Screenshot of Layout
Possible Causes for these issues
- Slow uplink with ISP ( slow UL and DL Speed )
- Network is probably choking on the data that’s being sent out through the home internet connection.
- Many objects eg. popovers , dropdowns , tooltips, graphics etc
- Many Portals in the layout
- Lots of Conditional Formatting , Many TO's referenced by the Layout
- Rounded Theme
- Unoptimized Webdirect Specific Layouts
- Local styles on layouts
- Many Summary Fields
Solutions ( gathered from the original discussion Excessive Refresh in filemaker web direct )
- Changed the them to Sophisticated ( Non Rounded )
- Made WebDIrect specific layouts Optimized for WD
- Changed to a faster internet connection for the server and client
- Removed Summary fields and replaced them with merge fields
- Reduce number of layout objects
- Change portals to related list views
Result : It is performing well ... no issues
This document was generated from the following discussion: Excessive Refresh in filemaker web direct