This tutorial is intended for people with previous FileMaker Pro experience who want to learn what's new in FileMaker 14. If you're just starting with FileMaker Pro, we recommend that you take the Guided Tour that appears when the software first launches, and then proceed to the Quick Start Training available here in the FileMaker Community.
Please download the example files that we’ve designed for these exercises.
Hardware and setup requirements
- You must have installed FileMaker Pro 14 on a desktop or laptop (Mac or Windows) — see the system requirements and
- Make sure that everyone accessing your database is using FileMaker Pro 14 since these features will not work with previous versions of FileMaker Pro.
- For several exercises, you must have installed FileMaker Go 14 on iPad — see the system requirements and .
- Your iPad needs to be connected to the same network as your desktop or laptop. Depending on your network, you may need to connect via VPN.
- If a diagram looks too small to read, try clicking on it.
- If you can't view these pages at the same time as your FileMaker interface, consider printing them. Switching windows can make the exercises hard to follow.
- When you take a break, bookmark the page to help you find your place later on.
- If you have any questions, ask the FileMaker Community for advice.
Imagine that you are a content editor at a mid-sized consumer advertising agency. While you take the train to the office each morning, you review advertising content using "Approvals", a mobile FileMaker 14 solution on iPad. When you get to the office, you continue the review process on your desktop machine. Because iPad offers sophisticated media interaction, sometimes you prefer to use it even in the office.