Jonn Howell (DataExperience, Inc.)
Let FileMaker Server do the heavy lifting for your data imports so that you and your users don’t have to wait — even on the WAN! Take advantage of external container storage and FileMaker Server script schedules to upload data files into your custom apps, letting the server engine extract the data into normalized data fields. Then perform validation on the data before the import is finalized, regardless of column order in the source files. Come and see the speedy import magic for yourself!
This session will take advantage of an events management module, described in detail in a parallel session.
What you should know
FileMaker Pro scripting, FileMaker Server script schedules, relational design, Relationships Graph management, portals, interface design, container fields, and file structures
Products & Technologies
- Please see the attachment(s) below. Please note: Updates will be posted DURING the conference.
- The materials in this session are shared with the session COR010.
- The presentation screens for this session have been optimized for iPad Pro, and large screen 1080p.
- The demo files have some videos removed, in order to allow upload with limited drive space.
- The zipped files have all content.
- Some of the views, including demo files, will NOT be accessible unless you load the files properly onto FileMaker Server.
- Instructions on how to upload these files are described in the presentation, built into the COR011 TRIM file.
- Optimized files for viewing on iPad were published on Wednesday, August 3 2016.
What You Will Learn
- Using externally stored container fields when importing data form non-system data files
- Validating columns in import files before actually importing the data to your normalized tables
- Reorganizing data from import files that have unexpected column orders
- Using drag and drop to simplify data import from external files of many types