Using FM16 JSON and card windows to build a slick FileMaker Search module

Document created by mark_scott on May 11, 2017
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

I don’t know about you, but we’re all pretty excited about FileMaker 16; it’s a very important release for the platform.

I’ve been working on a demo file that shows off some of the new features working together:  JSON to pass structured data in script parameters, card windows to show data from an entirely different context (or file!) within a FileMaker window, modern dialog windows thanks to the removal or 1980s-era chrome, and many others.

Best of all, it’s far more than just a “feature-demo” file:  LOgiCATOR is a complete and powerful FileMaker search module that can be easily integrated into other FileMaker applications.  In fact, it didn’t start out as a FileMaker 16 project at all, but rather as an attempt to develop a FileMaker implementation of an intuitive search-interface paradigm I had been intrigued by for some time.  Still, I’m not sure it would have been possible without FileMaker 16.

Our blog post “Introducing LOgiCATOR: A Modular Search Interface for FileMaker 16” describes LOgiCATOR’s genesis and core features, and invites you to download it and explore.  Oh, almost forgot: it’s free!

Here’s what the LOgiCATOR interface looks like, running inside a demo database of music CDs:

LOgiCATOR UI.png

Future blog posts will explore how LOgiCATOR leverages new FileMaker 16 features like JSON and card windows, and the final post in the series will discuss strategies for integrating LOgiCATOR into an existing FileMaker application.  (Spoiler: we've designed it to make integration very easy!)

So, if you want to check out real-life examples of how to use JSON to pass structured data in script parameters, find out what card windows bring to the user interface, or just see whether the LOgiCATOR search UI is something that might work in your FileMaker applications, please check it out.

Attachments

Outcomes