BEG005 - How Scripts Think - Mark Baum

Document created by communitymanager on Jun 2, 2017Last modified by mark_baum on Jul 31, 2017
Version 22Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Mark Baum (Soliant Consulting)

Session Description

The FileMaker Platform provides over 130 different commands—or script steps—for automating your custom apps. Script steps can perform all kinds of useful actions, but the real power comes from logical steps that make choices about what your script will do.

You'll get an introduction to building logical scripts from scratch, covering a range of practical examples. Then you'll step through these examples using the Script Debugger and Data Viewer, getting an inside view of what happens as each decision is made.

What you should know

Please be familiar with the Script Workspace and have written a few short scripts.

Products & Technologies

• Pro/Advanced

Session Materials

• The slides (as a PDF) and a zipped FileMaker example file are attached below. These are the updated versions posted after DevCon, with extra material added.

What You Will Learn

• Creating workflow diagrams
  • Outlining your script using comments
  • Building your logical structure
  • Filling in your actions

Questions

If you have any questions about the session, feel free to add them to the comments on this page, or to email me directly at mbaum@soliantconsulting.com. My plan is to answer questions here as they come in.

Thanks

This session was reviewed at various phases of completion by a bunch of smart and thoughtful people, including: Nancy Baum (my long-suffering mother), Sara Severson, Mislav Kos, Jeremy Brown, Ryan Manook, Casey Hempstead, Sofia Ortmann, Ro Parry, and Alexei Folger. Thank you, everyone -- your feedback made it so much better!

Attachments

Outcomes