Steve Winter (Matatiro Solutions)
FileMaker's robust functionality can be supplemented with a Web Service (or API) to help solve pretty much any task. But sometimes accessing those APIs through http(s) doesn't provide the flexibility needed. One example of this is if you need to send custom authentication headers or to use a protocol other than HTTP.
In this session, you'll begin to explore cURL for FileMaker. Developers in other ecosystems have long been able to call on the power of cURL and you'll learn how to make it work for you.
What you should know
A basic understanding of REST APIs.
Products & Technologies
- Please see the attachment(s) below.
- 'INN004 Demo file.fmp12.zip' is the main file which I used on my laptop.
- 'INN004 Mobile.fmp12.zip' is the file I should have used on my mobile (I had inadvertently opened the wrong file!). Use the layout Phone > Contact Detail to access the sync functionality (tap the traffic lights). And the container at the bottom to upload to Dropbox.
What You Will Learn
- Accessing external APIs using InsertFromURL and cURL parameters
- Implementing simple sync using cURL and the FileMaker REST API
- POST, GET, PUT and DELETE the ‘crud’ of API communication
- What OAuth is, why it matters, and how to make it work in FileMaker