Doug Gardner (Exoteric Inc.)
FileMaker’s calculation engine isn’t merely used to define calculation fields. Over a quarter of the script steps in FileMaker take advantage of calculations. So do field validation, auto-entry of data, and controlling record-level access in privilege sets. You also find the calculation dialog in some menu commands like Replace Field Contents and Send Mail. This session tours FileMaker Pro via the calculation engine. We will look at most of the places calculations can be used and discover types of functions and their appropriate uses along the way. All examples will be real-world solutions that can be put to use immediately.
What you should know
A basic familiarity with setting up tables, fields, and layouts in FileMaker is assumed.
Products & Technologies
- Materials are not yet available for this session.
What You Will Learn
- How to use operators and functions
- How calculations rely on context (and what is “context”, anyway?)
- How to use calculations in a variety of scripts
- How to use related data in calculations and some of the costs