Steve Winter (Matatiro Solutions)
Accessing data through REST is the current best-practice for data sharing. That’s not always been easy with FileMaker. It is now! In version 16, FileMaker introduced the FileMaker Data API which allows far easier integration of FileMaker with other systems. In this session we’ll start from the beginning, looking at what REST is, why we might be interested in using it, how to configure FileMaker Server, and a custom app that uses the FileMaker Data API. We'll then begin interacting with our data. Finally we’ll take a look at some simple examples of the way the API can be integrated into existing environments.
What you should know
No prior knowledge is assumed. This is a beginner session.
Products & Technologies
- Server-side demo files (Full access account username: Admin, password Admin). Also note that there's lots of other interesting API integration scripts in that file, including login to Google accounts, Dropbox file sync etc)
- FileMaker Go demo app (Full access account username: Admin, password Admin)
- Demo video YouTube playlist
- WordPress plugin to pull data through the Data API
- Source code for the NativeScript FM Image Uploader
- Postman examples
What You Will Learn
- An introduction to REST, how it works, and what GET, POST, PATCH and DELETE are all about
- Configuration of FileMaker Server and a FileMaker app for access through the REST API
- Authentication, tokens, global fields and CRUD through the REST API, including tools to aid development