Since my Unofficial Performance Track at DevCon 2017 got such positive feedback, I have prepared another one for this year.
So these are the sessions at DevCon 2018 I recommend to anyone interested in optimizing performance of FileMaker solutions:
- Advanced 1 - Techniques on 6 Aug 2018 from 08:30 to 12:00 in Texas A
- User Experience 2 - Ideation, Prototyping, and Usability Testing on 6 Aug 2018 from 13:00 to 16:30 in Texas C
- Modular Programming with Card Windows on 7 Aug 2018, 11:00 to 12:00 in Texas A
- Under the Hood: Storage and Querieson 7 Aug 2018 from 13:30 to 14:30 in Texas B
- Flexible Reporting with Virtual Lists and ExecuteSQL on 7 Aug 2018 from 15:00 to 16:00 in Texas B
- Delight Driven Design - Transforming Designs from Good to Great on 7 Aug 2018 from 16:30 to 17:30 in Texas D
- Modular FileMaker 2.0 on 7 Aug 2018 from 16:30 to 17:30 in Texas B
- "Fireside Chat" with FileMaker Product Development on 7 Aug 2018 from 18:00 to 19:30 in Tate
- Under the Hood: FileMaker WebDirect Scalability on 8 Aug 2018 from 10:30 to 11:30 in Texas B
- Under the Hood: Data Migration on 8 Aug 2018 from 14:30 to 15:30 in Texas B
- FileMaker, Inc. Developer Panel on 8 Aug 2018 from17:30 to 18:30 in Texas B
- Performance Tips for Beginners on 8 Aug 2018 from17:30 to 18:30 in Texas 1 - 3
- Care and Feeding of the FileMaker Virus on 9 Aug 2018 from 10:30 to 11:30 in Texas D
Even though not all these sessions are strictly performance related, they provide either information or inspiration that a serious optimizer will find very useful.
And for those of you who want to start by optimizing yourself, I have also prepared the above as a sync file to import to DevCon2Go.
Just switch to your schedule, tap the circle with tripple dot in the upper right corner, select "Import a sync file with your schedule", and import the attached file "DevCon 2018 Unofficial Performance Track Schedule.txt".
Warning: if you have already some schedule defined, this will be overwritten.
Note that there are times when I have not recommended any session.
You can pick any sessions you like if you're interested in other topics as well, or you can utilize one of these longer breaks and come to consult your optimization challenges with me in person. For that case you might want to also import the custom events I have prepared, attached as "DevCon 2018 Unofficial Performance Track Custom Events.txt". In the case you plan to meet me I encourage you to schedule the meeting ahead of time at http://24usw.com/ttdc.
You might also want to watch edited recordings from my optimization sessions from last year's FileMaker DevCon and FileMaker Konferenz:
Lastly, if you prefer to use your native calendar over DevCon2Go to schedule your time at DevCon, i have also created a vCal file for you and attached it as "DevCon 2018 Unofficial Performance Track.ics".
I hope you'll enjoy DevCon and look forward to seeing you.