Currently when copying and pasting fields the calculation context is NOT copied, and resets to the first TO of the current table. In some - maybe most - cases this is no problem, because the expected TO is the first TO, HOWEVER, ...
- if the calculation SHOULD be calculated in the context of a non-standard TO, or
- if the first TO is not the TO which the developer considers to be the PTO
... the calculation context is different to the original.
This causes many errors + problems in DB development, because
- the pasted field is not identical to the copied field,
- this behavior is unexpected,
- the error thus often goes unnoticed by the unwitting developer.
Note: This problem occurs when copying a field BETWEEN databases and EVEN when copying a field WITHIN THE SAME database + table!
Copying and pasting fields should make an exact copy of the field, as one would expect, INCLUDING the calculation context!
This requires two tiny changes from FMI:
- Copying fields should include the calculation context in the clipboard XML
- Pasting the field should match the calculation context TO BY NAME
- Less errors accidentally introduced into the (development or deployed) database
- One less FM Gotcha
- FileMaker is more FileMakery, i.e. obvious, easy to use and learn
- Happier developers + customers
- Creating similar fields in the same table using copy + paste
- Creating a series of fields in the same table using copy + paste (ShowDate 1, ShowDate 2, ShowDate 3, ...)
- Transferring functionality between multiple files
- Transferring functionality to deployed solutions
- Transferring newly developed functionality from a development (branch) database to the master (trunk) database
It is particularly important to implement this idea, if the idea to Specify which TO is the PTO Idea is not implemented.