The format painter and the style copy + paste buttons offer VERY similar functionality.
My suggestion is:
- While facilitating different methods of object selection, the two systems should otherwise work identically.
- Particularly, the ALT key should have the same function in both systems.
- Currently with the format painter, you can hold the ALT key when selecting the format painter, in order to ONLY transfer formats but WITHOUT attributing the style name.
- This functionality is missing on the style copy + paste buttons in fm14.
and while we are at it...
- The tool tips of these buttons should also make the ALT + click function quite clear (I have noted that very many developers have overseen this important function on the format painter)
- Helps Improve UX of Layouting with Themes and Styles
- Makes UI more consistent / simple / easy to discover
- Developers find functionality where they expect (because the style copy + paste buttons are WITHIN the style appearance window, developers tend to look here first for copy-formats-only functionality)
- Copying styles + formats between objects
- Copying only formats between objects
- Copying only formats between styles