Get rid of regular buttons and popovers, replace with button bars exclusively.

Idea created by David Weiner on Apr 18, 2016
    Active
    Score3
    • Benjamin Fehr
    • MSNThomas
    • David Weiner

Button bars, for me, are the single most useful new feature in FileMaker 14. With their ability to use the calculation engine to create the button label, plus their ability to switch from a popover to a regular button at will, button bars have become my go-to solution for ALL buttons. If I need a regular button, I just make it a single-segment button bar. Almost on a daily basis I change a button bar segment from a regular button to a popover or back again. This saves me much time and hassle, since I don't have to rebuild the button every time I decide to use a different button technique; I only have to change the button's state. Now, when I come across an old-style button and want to change it to a popover, I'm immediately frustrated that I have to make a new object, size it identically, add the scripting, add conditional formatting, get the style to match, etc.

In short, button bars are genius. I can't think of a reason why you'd need to use the old style button objects or popover button object at all. Therefore, I suggest doing away with them entirely in favor of just button bars. The benefits are twofold:

1. Greater flexibility in solutions, since you can always switch easily between a regular button and a popover
    2. No need to manage two separate sets of object styles (buttons and button bars)

That being said, there are a couple of small issues that should be addressed:

1. Single-segment button bars are nearly impossible to deselect, since when you shift click on them, you select the segment, instead of deselecting the button bar. Perhaps button bars could have a special selection handle in one corner to make it easier to select just the bar itself. Or if we had Better Layer Management that would solve the problem.
    2. When changing a segment from a popover to a regular button, there's no warning that you're about to permanently lose the contents of the popover. There probably should be one.