There is sadly a Dangerous User-eXperience to be had in the Script Workspace - particularly on windows machines, and particularly when doing maintenance work via a slow internet connection.
The problem is that the RUN button is located exactly behind the edit menu! ... which means if you are using the edit menu to paste code, or similar, and you click twice - for example, because the menu doesn't SEEM to react because of a slow internet connection ... you end up clicking the RUN button accidentally. OMG!
This can be FATAL !
- It could be ANY script that you are editing (e.g. a script to duplicate or delete data :-/ )
- It tends to happen when you are doing maintenance work / bug fixing on LIVE systems.
- It tends to happen BEFORE you have finished repairing the script you are working on,
AND ABOVE ALL ...
- ONCE YOU HAVE CLICKED IT THERE IS NO STOPPING IT!
- .... it almost invariably leads to DATA DAMAGE, INCONSISTENCY OR LOSS
Let me repeat once more: IN LIVE SYSTEMS, ON LIVE DATA
(Note: The + Button and Debug button are not such a problem, because an empty script is not dangerous and you can simply stop the debugger)
Please MOVE the RUN button to somewhere you cannot accidentally click on it. (In fm13 it was nicely out the way)
- It's better
- It can still look good - just elsewhere :-)
- Avoid unnecessary, stupid, embarrassing and costly errors in LIVE data
- ...for me (the jerk who clicked twice)
- ...for us (the FM-developer company)
- ...for our customer (the DB owner)
- ...for our customers employers (who wasted half a morning waiting for the backup to be reinstated / data half saved / inconsistencies removed)
- ...for our customers customers (the owner of the deleted data)
- ...for our customers customers customers (their customers who suffer loss of service)
- ...for you (FMI)
- Crap internet can continue to just be a pain in the arse without being a pain in the pride or pocket
Please vote up. Please fix. Please please :-)
Thank you, your humble