When moving data between tables it is a common practice to export the necessary fields into a temporary file, and then import this into the target file.
When field names do not match, the developer is forced to use a custom order, with all the inherent problems
Make it possible to specify custom field names in Export Records.
This would then be possible to use Matching Names in the Import Records step.
(Preferably this would be available in every export format that support field names (merge, filemaker, …)
- Helps Improve FileMaker’s Integration Technologies
- Less Import Records using last order
- Data stability
- FileMaker is better middleware
- Export - Import as described above (~50 different processes in our current solution)
- Export to external systems
Difference from other Ideas
This idea differs slightly from the Field Labels idea from Vince in that this idea specifically targets the need to be able to specify field names within the Export Records command.
Making FileMaker Great