Inspired by Choose field to sort list or drop-down menu - but simpler!
This idea makes it possible to sort a field-based value list, similar to 'hard coded' value lists.
The idea is to provide an option so you can BOTH SORT AND HIDE the second column.
This could be easily integrated into the dialogue using a new checkbox 'show first column':
Show: [X] first column [ ] second column
Sort by: [ ] first column [X] second column
It might look something like this:
For example a value list "number word" could be created with these settings based on the following data:
Producing a value list like this:
- Value lists in a logical rather than alphabetical order
- => Improved user experience when entering data
- ALL hard-coded value lists could be converted to data-driven lists!
- => easier maintenance / update
- => easier deployment
- => easier customisation
- Very small change with a big effect!
- We have a value list table with ~300 data-driven value lists. ~30% of these would benefit greatly from this extension.
- Particularly value lists depicting states, where the entries have a specific order.
Limits of the idea
Of course, this method is not powerful enough to sort 2-field value lists, where the ID is entered and the second column contains a translation - a THIRD column would be needed => See Choose field to sort list or drop-down menu.
Happy Voting! ;-)