Invisible errors are bad news.
There are (too) many places within FileMaker where code, important information and potential errors are 'hidden' below the surface.
Developers must be able to SEE errors in code, otherwise…
- errors can go unnoticed,
- errors can get thru into deployed solutions and
- this ultimately negatively impacts both developer + enduser experience, and FileMaker's standing.
- Make coding errors more visible.
There is always a balance to be found between slick + detailed; I believe adopting this paradigm should help in finding the right balance.
For example, many of the ideas found on this forum are based on this premise.
- Show essential information…
- on the HUD Button dialog
- in the DB Definition
- in the Relationship Graph
- in Script Steps
- Make coding errors more visible - automatically
- Remove / Avoid weaknesses in FileMaker that lead to hidden bugs
- Copy/Pasting "Import Records” by “Matching field names” should just work (pasting can introduce a hidden error)
- Copy + paste field WITH calculation context (base TO) (pasting can introduce a hidden error)
- Avoid coupling new features to layout objects (pasting can introduce a hidden error)
- Improve visibility in dialogs (wider columns + sticky width)
...and there are probably more.
- Errors can and will be identified quicker
- => Less bugs
- => Higher code quality
- => Less Maintenance
- Increased trust in FM Platform
- See linked ideas