We have recently seen an increasing number of incorrect or unclear usage of data types in the FIleMaker interface + documentation - where seemingly everything is being treated as text. While everything CAN be represented as text, it is necessary to call a number a number.
- The Exit Script[ Text result: …] Step is incorrectly labelled as returning a Text Result, which is simply incorrect, as outlined in the issue reported underhttp://exit script textScript Results can be Text OR ANY OTHER DATA TYPE
- The JSONGetElement function introduced in fm16 currently converts all data it reads to text, instead of returning numbers as number and booleans as boolean numbers. See JSONGetElement returns the wrong data type for numbers and booleans
- The FileMaker Data API introduced in fm16 also delivers everything as text
FileMaker has very clear data types, and supplies ample functions for type-casting data to the desired data type (GetAsNumber, etc.)
It would help if FMI would
- Change the Exit Script script text to not mention "Text", e.g. Exit Script [Result: …]
- Change JSONGetElement to return numbers and booleans as numbers
In keeping with this idea, it would also be very helpful to
- Show Calculation Data Type in Field List, and
- Add a DataType ( data ) function to query the data type of a field / variable / parameter
- Clarity in data types.
- Generally a better understanding of data types among users, developers and FMI staff
- Avoidance of errors due to wrong data types
- Easily query the data type of an object
- Avoid complicated workarounds
- Greater productivity.
- See the individual ideas
Please add to this list, if you can, Tx
MrWatson (data type = RealPerson)