For the following layout objects:
- text labels
- editbox (can later be changed to a different control style)
Allow the content to be defined by a calculation tied to the layout object (like for tooltip). This, without using merge variables for text labels and without a calculation field for the editbox.
Basically, if you have a contact record with a nameFirst and a nameLast field, it would be nice to be able to put on the layout an editbox for nameFull without having to crowd the table with one more calculation field.
- The calculation output is not updated/refreshed on screen unless a field being referenced in the calculation gets updated.
- For editbox & find mode, possible options are
- the field can be accessed in find mode (the calculation would be sent to the server along with the query so the server can treat it as any other UNSTORED calc, even if it references only stored fields)
- the field can be accessed in find mode (the server processes the query without any consideration for the layout expression, sends the resultset to the workstation. The workstation then fine tunes the resultset based on the layout expression)
- the field cannot be accessed in find mode.
- for editbox the user cannot edit contents (it replaces a calculation field)
- Layout expressions cannot be referenced in other calculations