Registering for Events

Idea created by vince.menanno on Aug 25, 2017
    Active
    Score25

Having the ability to hover over an icon and have its hover state change or the click state change provides users with necessary feedback.

But what if I wanted to hover over a row and I wanted icons on that row that are sitting quietly dormant to come to live and show a hover change in their color. What we don't have is a way for objects to register for an event.

I see many developers not paying much attention to visual noise. Here is an example of that visual noise.

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 4.53.43 PM.png

Often times a developer will put an icon into a portal and have it repeat - to me this is visual noise that should be reduced. What we do now, is add conditional formatting so the object is always hidden and only appears when the row is highlighted. Kind of like this.

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 4.57.52 PM.png

But what if we had events, and each object could listen for any event... when it happens, it could turn white on hover. So you could have a number of icons in the row and they would all light up when you hover anywhere in the row. Maybe we still keep what we have now with conditional formatting but add a section that allow you to add any event to an already existing conditional formatting item.

OnHover Event - and each object could decide to do something or not then the event happens.

So this is just one area where we could use events in the UI to do all kinds of things. But what if each record could register it self for some kind of update event, or a layout that you are on could also register itself for an event that the server sends out.

We could have different kinds of events - data type events and UI type events.

Client events - could register themselves for an event when something happened. For example: execute a script to run on the server but did not want to wait for it to complete... if you register to receive a notification when that event completed, then you could get notified when it completes.

It could lead to a wealth of new possibilities. The UI events are just the tip of the iceberg.

Vince