• Hemant Kumar Patel
    • Benjamin Fehr
    • jerrysalem
    • FredoMkb
    • Fabrice Nordmann
    • David Julot
    • andries_heylen
    • Markus Schneider

Since FileMaker 7, a great job has been done to reduce the script/layout dependency.

Some may remember the times when even Replace field contents required the target field to be on the current layout.

A lot of these were removed, until version 16 in which was introduced Insert into a variable for some script steps.

Still, not all script steps are affected, and there is a good reason for that.

Insert picture or Insert PDF are not. They still require that the field is on the layout, and even active.

Why active, I don't know (but you cannot select a field in the script step, so only the active field can be targeted)

But why you can't insert a picture or a PDF is clearer:

The result of the insert step will be different if the layout object is optimized for images or interactive content (tab 4 of inspector)

The problem is that depending on

• the script step used (insert file, insert picture…)
    • the layout object formatting

The result will be different.

And… I'm quite sure not everyone is very aware of the differences (this is an understatement)

What I would suggest is a revamped insert file script step with maybe an advanced tab where you could see/control everything FileMaker is currently doing without you to really want it.

• should be prefix insensitive (image:, file:…), all should be supported. [Side note: if Insert picture could also support file: prefix it would save a lot of times where you wonder why you get an error 3 (command unavailable) before you realize that you just switched from insert file to insert picture without updating the path.]
    • should be able to define if you want to insert as a picture, an interactive PDF or as an icon.