Snapshots are a fantastic feature, but its usage is too limited.
In many situations, they could be a core component of our solutions if we could control how they open.
The following limitations are there for good reasons but they could be reconsidered in the context of a script step:
- snapshots always open in a new window
- if the target file is already open, the user need to have the right to display the toolbar on in least one window
- script triggers (onLayoutLoad, onRecordLoad…) are appened to the script stack.
- a prompt will tell the user if some records were deleted
Again, these are absolutely logical in the context of a user available menu command, but a script step where you could choose
- to open a snapshot in a new window OR to replace the contents of the current window
- that wouldn't require the right to display the toolbar if running in full access
- that would trigger scripts on the spot if the snapshot replaces the content of first window
- could optionally not prompt the user
…would be incredibly useful.
Would make a perfect communication tool, a navigation history… so many use cases.
Besides, combined with this feature request Script steps where a file path can be defined should be able to use container fields or variables , would be compatible with Web Direct.