It should be possible to format fields for table views:
- Separately from form or list view
- The current action-at-a-distance scheme is not at all intuitive, and violates the programming principle of least surprise.
- Once could easily wish to offer different formats in a user-facing (form) versus developer-facing (table) view e.g; more or less precision in numeric fields
- Without having to create extra layouts or views one may not need or wish to have cluttering their system.
- Additionally, fields which are displayed in a form cannot be removed from a table view without first removing them from the form view. Adding extra steps to the management of one's system.
- Form view formatting does not carry over to all uses of a value. For example, I have a summary field in several tables that counts the number of records, but it displays as a currency value when used in <<text>>, despite the form view for this field being General.
I recommend that fields in a table have a default format associated with them and stored in the table itself. These formats would be used for the table view and text inclusions; as well as the default for form and list view unless otherwise overriden. These could be set in the field options and/or in a context menu in the table view, as in a spreadsheet.