FileMaker Pro Advanced should have separate styles for left and top labels it automatically applies whenever it generates field labels.
The top label styles should be bottom aligned so if the label starts to take more lines, they will go upwards, not both up and down, covering the field beneath and thus need to be adjusted.
Field labels are the most frustrating issue I've seen with the delivered themes. Label styles are the main reason I have to add style and edit themes:
- Field picker's left-side labels are right-justified by default (which is good), but the label follows no style at all, thus the red-circle of self-disapproval.
- Default top labels also get the red-circle of self-disapproval.
- Also frustrating about default top labels is that their vertical alignment is centered. They should be bottom aligned so if the label starts to take more lines, they will go upwards, not both up and down, covering the field beneath and thus need to be adjusted.
- In layout mode, on field picker, select top or left placement.
- Drag and drop field to layout
- Field label will have Default style but won't really follow the style of the Default style.
- Revert Changes to Style will maladjust a left-placed field label.
- Save Changes to Current Style will maladjust other text with Default style.
- I tend to Save as a New Style and then fix all the other field labels to that style.
- TonyWhite describes the issue and workarounds as follows:
Layout objects of type text added to a layout using the field picker will land on the Default Style (which is left-aligned).
Right-aligned (also vertical-center) is applied as LocalCSS.
This does indeed produce the red circle.
There are likely very good reasons for this...
- The default for text object text-alignment has to be Left to support migration from a Classic Theme using the "single-undo" method.
- Right aligned is a good default choice for labels located to the left of fields.
The solution is to either
- Apply a Custom Style to the text labels as a second step
- Code generate the layout fields and text label as fmXML with the appropriate Styles attached to the various types of objects. (This takes quite a bit of work to set up and maintain.)