AnsweredAssumed Answered

Creating a convenient "search form"

Question asked by PeterThorton on May 9, 2012
Latest reply on May 10, 2012 by PeterThorton

Title

Creating a convenient "search form"

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I have an "Input order form" layout, which allows the users to create orders. An order is related to either a Customer or a Dealer (depending on which way the order will go) So I have a table Order, which is related to table BusinessPartner, through a join table (called OrderPartnerLookup. Why I need the join table is not really important, but if you need to know, ask) BusinessPartner has a "Type" field that's either set to "Customer" or "Dealer".

On the layout I have a textbox that represents the partner. Until now it was set up as a dropdown list, which showed all the partners, but this is no longer sufficient. I've been asked to do some kind of "search box" that would allow the users to search by Name, ID, email, etc. The search box should only search either customers or dealers, depending on where it's called from.

As I'm new to Filemaker, so far I have no idea how to do this. I thought I'd make a 'search layout', and a script that would switch to this layout and enter search mode when a button is clicked. Then another button that would navigate back to the original layout and fill in the selected value. But I'd also like the user to see a list of records that match the criteria, and be able to select one. Maybe I should base the layout on a list view?

I've been experimenting with this for a while, but judging by my experience with FileMaker so far, it may well take me days before I produce something usable. Any help, suggestions, and ideally samples, would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes