AnsweredAssumed Answered

Repeating Field vs Portal vs separate fields

Question asked by MichelHandley on Jun 17, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Repeating Field vs Portal vs separate fields

I have a purchase order form that I inherited  with over 4000 records. There is a blank copy in the hotlink.

It has a few fixable problems but I am not sure what the best way to fix it is. I was going to convert my separate fields, description in particular, to a repeating field. The way it is currently setup I cannot search for items in the description fields because they are separate fields and I know that repeating fields will work for that like they did in the PO form I created at my old job.

I started hearing about portals and I am not sure if that would be a better easier way to go. the descriptions fields are the only ones where search is a problem.

If I do repeating fields I assume that I must change all of the ones used in the totals calculations as well.

I have found instructions on how to accomplish this. Has anyone actually done this and are there things to watch out for?

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5017/~/copying-data-from-multiple-fields-into-one-repeating-field-(exporting)

Is there a single calculation that will keep the repeating fields calculating as needed or will I need a separate calculation for each row?

Thanks for any advice you may have

Outcomes