Product and version FileMaker Pro 16, probably 15, maybe earlier
OS and version Mac 10.11.6
Thanks to the fantastic new fmp16 Layout Objects inspector, I have found lots of singly-grouped objects within my layouts.
It makes no sense to have a group of 1!
=> It makes the usability of layouting very difficult, coz you can't see/edit the properties of the 'wrapped' object.
Where do they come from?
=> As far as I can tell, from an erroneous / incomplete behaviour of the Button Setup process.
How to replicate
- Place an object (field) on a layout.
- Choose Button Setup from the Format (or context) menu.
- Close the Button Setup dialog without doing anything
- Inspect the object with the Layout Object tree
Expected Result: No group, just the object (as in earlier FM Versions)
Actual Result: Group containing one object
Here is a vid:
While this issue is not a bug as such, it is an absolute disaster for UX when layouting! In other words it is exactly the workaround which is the issue!
- Avoid pressing Button Setup, and then cancel.
- Ungroup the object immediately, should you have accidentally done this.
- If you find such solo-groups later - after they have been further manipulated (Hide calc) - you can use the Layout Object tree to help copy the calc from the group to the object before ungrouping the object.
After removing the groups things look like this: