AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing data questions

Question asked by tbaker on Apr 21, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 21, 2012 by tbaker

Hi Everyone,

I am really new to Filemaker Pro 12, have bought a couple books and been reading on here a lot but I have a couple questions I'm hoping you might be able to help me with. I am using an iPhone app (iFormbuilder) to collect information in the field (up to 50 columns each record, including 1-2 pics/audio files), and would like to import that data and make reports/summaries with it. Looking at a couple of database programs, seems like FMP would be the best choice so I'm playing around with it to see if it could do what we need. Running Windows.

Importing Data:

• What is the best option for file format to import? (I have options of the following data feeds: xls, xls analytic, xlm, json, rss, & atom)
    • A little more info for that, a couple of the forms have subforms due to their length. Exported into excel, these show up as seperate worksheets. Would it be possible to have them imported as one table with another format instead of creating relationships between tables?
  • Probably a dumb question, but would this information automatically populate in the FMP database (if it's being updated in realtime at the data feed)?

• Are in the containers as URLs, is there a way (script?) to automatically download them?

Thanks!

Outcomes