AnsweredAssumed Answered

Combine Buy and Sell table

Question asked by heinrichh on Nov 8, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 9, 2018 by user27280

Hi,

For my customer who buys and resells tools, I should write a solution in FileMaker.

First I create 2 different tables: purchasing and sellng.

But I would like to keep the tables purchasing and selling in one table, since they basically represent almost the same thing.
I would like to donate an additional field "is_selling" and indicate, if it is a purchase or a sale.
Later, I could display both of the tables in a portal on two separate LAyouts (with portal filter is_selling = 1/0).

Now my question: Since I am not quite fit in FM, I would like to know if this is a possibility or should I separate the tables? But I would like to create a report with little effort, without any SQL or something else to retrieve the values from 2 different tables (purchasing / sales).

For the report later: Is that ok if, for example, I use the date field or the amount of articles both for the purchase and for the sale, or do they have to be 2 separate fields?

How many fields can you actually create in a table, without the performance noticeably getting worse?

I'm thinking about creating separate fields for buying and selling (eg buy_date, sell_date, etc.)

Thanks for the answer.

Outcomes