3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 3:18 PM by philmodjunk

File Not Found Error At Startup

TiloSchiffer

Title

File Not Found Error At Startup

I have to manually open the files because the error message stated the file can not be found.  Below is an example of the path to the directory containing all my data file.

file:/C:/Documents and Settings/Tilo Schiffer/Desktop/Sharing/Proposals/propos2

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: File Not Found Error At Startup
          philmodjunk

Has one or more files been moved or renamed?

Open manage | external data sources and update the reference to those files to refer to the new name and/or location and this error will go away.

• 2. Re: File Not Found Error At Startup
            JimMac

I have found this error also.  It only occurs on a very large record count files and first starting up.  FMP does some block, record damage, sorting, indexing, and summary field recalculation on a restart.  FMP can take a very long (computer time) to do its related file cold start.  It seems that FMP "gets mad at itself" when taking excessive time and issues that message.  Once a file has been (indexed, checked, calcuated, etc.) by re-pointing to the file, then i don't have the problems.  Sometims an improper shutdown of FMP forces this long cold start.  My file path is relative and never changes.

• 3. Re: File Not Found Error At Startup
              philmodjunk

I've been using FileMaker since it was FileMaker Pro 2.5--flat file, non-relational no less.

I've never seen this error message in any of my files when opening it except for when I have external data source references that no longer work. That could just mean I've been lucky...Wink

If I got that error message and a review of Manage | external data sources doesn't reveal a problem (A file can have an external data source reference to itself--odd as that sounds), I'd run a recover on the file to see if any issues are reported/corrected by the recover.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
              2. Recover does not detect all problems
              3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.