6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2012 9:50 PM by remi

File path for remote shared folder on a different Mac

remi

Title

File path for remote shared folder on a different Mac

Hi !

I got 2 machines :

iMac : with Filemaker Server 12 anf Filemaker Pro 12, used by me

Macbook : with Filemaker 12 for the secretary who can connect and work on the same database

The function :

When I send invoices to my clients, I have created a script which automaticaly save the receipt as a Pdf and attaches it to the email.

NOTE : the Pdf is saved on the iMac.

My problem :

When using the Macbook, Filemaker doesn't want to save the pdf (on the iMac). I got the message : “receipt.pdf” could not be created on this disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk.

I have try to directly use the function "Save as Pdf", without using the script, and it works. So I guess my problem is that I don't have the right File path.

The thing is that I have tried many many different File paths, and none worked so far...

Any ideas ?

• 1. Re: File path for remote shared folder on a different Mac
          philmodjunk

What is the filepath that your script is using?

That particular error message is frustratingly uninformative, but you are correct that it could be a problem with the FilePath. We'd need to see the expression you use for the FilePath to be sure.

If you are saving to a shared directory on the iMac, this FilePath must exactly match the filepath used on the Macbook to mount and access this shared directory when accessing this folder directly. And the volume must be mounted at the time the PDF is saved.

• 2. Re: File path for remote shared folder on a different Mac
            JimMac

If i understand this correctly, the shared Folder is to save your receipt PDF's is on your iMac and the Macbook user uses the iMac folder.  Check the permissions on the shared folder by doing a Get Info.... CMD I... on that folder.  At bottom is the permissions section...

1) Read and Write

And...

All contents in the folder..

2) User group must be your secretary and you!

Jim...

• 3. Re: File path for remote shared folder on a different Mac
              JimMac

One last thought, You should set up your database as a HOST and secretary and you act as clients by Open Remote....

If you let her execute by Shared Application, it is not recommended.

Jim..

• 4. Re: File path for remote shared folder on a different Mac
                remi

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies. Here is where I stand :

- the shared folder already has the permission (read and write for all content) > I can Print & Save as a Pdf from the Secretary's Macbook without any problem.

- the folder is mounted.

- the Database is already used as a HOST, and myself and the secretary use it as clients.

I beliebe that, as mentionned in PhilModJunk's reply, the issue is the FilePath.

I have tried many different FilePath, but I have to admit that I am getting confused with the different options... 

- should I use filemac:/ , afp:/, fmnet:/ ... ("Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at afp://192.168.1.15/ or “French Toast iMac”.)

Is there a way to "find out" what the FilePath is ?

• 5. Re: File path for remote shared folder on a different Mac
                  remi

I tried to save as Pdf, then "Get Info" and the FilePath shown is 

afp://French Toast iMac._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Accounting/file_name

I then tried to use this FilePath (without file_name obviously) but it didn't work.

• 6. Re: File path for remote shared folder on a different Mac
                    remi

Hi Guys,

Me again... After multiple attempts, I finally got the right FilePath !

It was - simply - filemac:/accounting/file_name

Thaks again for your help !

R