2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2011 9:26 AM by jayGamel

file paths

jayGamel

Title

file paths

I have searched for an answer and not found what I was looking for.

Using FMP6 on a Mac in a mac network with a FAT32 network drive (probably irrelevant, here).

I have a set of related files. For whatever reasons, I have duplicated the set over several iterations during the development stage. What I'm concerned about is whether the latest iteration is keeping the relationships confined to the files in the folder from which I open the master file or are they referring to some previous iteration? The documentation on "store relative file path" is confusing to me, seeming to indicate that will keep relationships confined to the current folder as opposed to looking for the original folder where the file was first linked. I also need to open previously saved verions (timemachine) to check on data once in a while.

I can't find anywhere in the FMP program that actually shows the complete file paths of the related files, which is a serious shortcoming to me, nor can I find a function to call that information. I could easily be missing it. Is there such a function and if so what is it? Or is that only found in later editions? I hate to experiment on a file so long in development, but if that's the only way to test, so be it.

thanks for any help on this issue. 

Jay Gamel

• 1. Re: file paths
          philmodjunk

This was indeed a serious short coming in older versions. The current version of FileMaker is FileMaker 11 and you can select Manage | External Data Sources... to see a list of each and every data source reference external to the current file. This wasn't an option for 5.5 and I don't know when they added it so you may have it, but I doubt it. It's also now possible to combine multiple tables in the same file which can greatly reduce the number of such external data source references in the first place.

"relative path" does indeed mean that the reference is to a file in the same folder as the current file so that should enable you to avoid issues. As a test, you can rename a file or the folder containing it to see if that produces a "file not found" message when you work with the file.

• 2. Re: file paths
            jayGamel

thank you for the reply, it clears things up a bit. I'm not so much worried about a "File not found" as the master file reaching out to the wrong related file in another folder.

I'd like to upgrade to a new version, but I have six licenss to do adn can't afford that for the present, so I'm stuck with 6.