1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 3:54 AM by JimMac

File paths seem to get broken for container files

GaryFitzhugh

Title

File paths seem to get broken for container files

When I load a Word, Power Point, or Excel file into a container (by reference only), they seem to work for awhile and then become inactive.  This never happens with an interactive container that has a PDF file.  It seems like the path of the referenced file has been forgotten.  Do hard to reload, but that wastes time. Any help will be apprecaited.

• 1. Re: File paths seem to get broken for container files
          JimMac

I read both of your posts on container/file paths.  I use Mac OS's and FMP12v2 adv.  From the other post you want to make your DB moble and current.

I would recommend to embed all of your source application files ie., pdf, pps, xls, mov ...... [note that their applications must be on each computer]

Do not use file references.

The embedded approach mean that the entire file is part of your transferable DB.  The only problems is you must keep track of the "master" copy and each older version of your DB must updated.

But...

If you have internet access in all your client's offices, you can set up a second license copy at your office and act as a HOST to remote clients, like Mac Air or Mac Pro.  By this method you DB saves to the HOST [at your office] the new container files.

Jim....