3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 8:50 AM by philmodjunk

File Recovery on Open

lbellino

Title

File Recovery on Open

Hello. Every time I open a FileMaker file I just created (was a backup copy of another database to use as a template), I keep getting a pop up about it being improperly closed (see image attached). This wouldn't be an issue if this was done once and then every time I would open after that, the file would open up normally. But I keep getting this every time I open up this same file, which takes a very long time to run through. I even hit the "Skip" button and it still runs through this process. Any way to fix this where it doesn't do this without having to recreate this database, since this was a new one and I have not backups of it yet. Thanks.

Note: Backup copy of database that was used for this, does not have this problem.

FileClosing.jpg

• 1. Re: File Recovery on Open
          philmodjunk

(was a backup copy of another database to use as a template)

And how did you make that back up copy? Unless using a FileMaker Server Schedule to back up the file, the file should be closed at the time the back up copy is made. If the file is open at the time the back up copy is made, it will automatically trigger this consistency check. The file could also be a damaged copy in this scenario. If the file is not damaged, simply closing the file from within FileMaker should prevent the consistency check from taking place the next time that you open the file. If this does not happen, your file is probably damaged.

I suggest running a recover on the file to see if it reports any damage on your file, then testing the recovered copy to see if it still opens every time with a consistency check.

Here's the tech info on this: When a file is correctly closed from within FileMaker, a flag is set indicating that the file was properly closed. If you make a copy of an open database file, FileMaker crashes or you force quit FileMaker while this file is open, this flag is not set and FileMaker will automatically run a consistency check for possible damage to the file. While a consistency check should catch most issues that might have been caused by the improper close, it isn't able to identify all possible problems with your file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: File Recovery on Open
            lbellino

Yes, I did use a back up copy that our filemaker server created. But that's so weird, since I've use a back up copy before for another database that I created with no issues and without closing the file on the server first before using a back up copy.

If I do close the file on the server, I can open it back up, without issues, correct?

• 3. Re: File Recovery on Open
              philmodjunk

You shouldn't need to close the file on the server in order to make a back up copy if you use FileMaker Server to make that back up copy.

My best guess is that somehow, your file was damaged and you should run a recover on the file or replace it with a new copy.