5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 2:16 PM by philmodjunk

File reference deleted during upgrade....

ZooGuy

Title

File reference deleted during upgrade....

I just recently ordered the 5 user licence and upgraded from Filemaker 6 to Filemaker 10. I run a nature "swap shop" in a zoo and we had been using a single user license version of Filemaker 6 on a Windows Xp Pro computer. What we use Filemaker for is to track the traders, their contact data and other personal details, their trades, which consist of numerical entries which represent "points" (we use a point system in lieu of money) and we have a set of reports that are scripted to be able to be sent to a printer. I knew that I would have to convert the old files to new ones. The old files that were scripted for use were...

(bear with me, I did not set this up, nor am I very well versed at Filemaker scripting)

Nature Exchange Database.fp5 (our main database I am assuming, since opening this file in Filemaker 6 normally brought up a fully functioning database)

Standard Trades.fp5 (which seem to be referenced by the above)

Trades.fp5 (ditto above)

Trades Recovered.fp5 (ditto as well)

When I upgraded to Filemaker 10, I gathered all the files to my local computer's hard drive as was instructed, told it to open Nature Exchange Database.fp5, which FM10 then told me that it was an older version and would need to be converted. After the conversion, I opened the newly converted file, handed it the password, it opens the database and we see our traders and their addresses and such but then when I try to open a record, it gives me an error saying that it needs the "Trades" file. when I browse to the only version I have (the old Trades.fp5 version) it will not work because it failed to convert it.

Upon viewing the "Conversion" log file, I see at the end of the two page report, all the conversion went OK but just before the "conversion completed" entry and after the "scripts were converted" entry is one that states "Deleting unneeded file reference: Trades 2." Why on earth does it think it is unneccessary? And how do I convince it otherwise. Any ideas that will help this headache to go away! We don't really ask much of this softwar, I never in my life expected to have such trouble!

• 1. Re: File reference deleted during upgrade....
          mrvodka

Seems like your trades file could be corrupt. Having a file called trade recovered only makes it more suspicious. I would try converting the trade.fp5 file first. 

• 2. Re: File reference deleted during upgrade....
            philmodjunk

It sounds like you haven't converted all the files, just the first file.

Make sure that you've used FMP 10 to open all the files (I suspect the file with "recovered" in the file name is not needed.) and then open/test your converted database.

• 3. Re: File reference deleted during upgrade....
              ZooGuy

Wow, mr-vodka, PholModJunk, thank you so much for bailing me out on this. From post to remedy in less than 15 minutes!! I hoped I was getting close to having this figured out. You were correct, I hadn't converted all three needed files. (I agree that the "Trades Recovered" files was not needed as was the file being deleted in the Conversion Logfile.) I had assumed that the conversion of the main file would find the other files and convert them as well. I went ahead and converted all four files (including the possibly not needed Trades Recovered.fp5) and placed all the newly converted files (the *.fp7 files) into a new folder and then opened the Nature Exchange Database.fp7 and was then able to view/modify all the missing fields!!! 

My next question, since we have a server for storing files, can I safely keep and use these on the server or is that too risky to do so do to possible data loss during data transfer in case of server connection problems? I assume that it's OK to use the server to store back-ups?

• 4. Re: File reference deleted during upgrade....
                mrvodka

You have some information that neesd a little clarification. What do you mean by "server"? It sounds like you are just talking about a file server. If you have FileMaker Server, you can use it to schedule backups. Please clarify your setup and what youa re trying to achieve.

• 5. Re: File reference deleted during upgrade....
                  philmodjunk
                     Best practice for your server is to install filemaker Pro or (even better) filemaker pro server on that machine. Then use it to open the files and your users would launch Filemaker Pro and use "open Remote" to access the database.