5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2011 10:09 AM by Tiver

File Sharing - Cannot see file on remote computer

Tiver

Title

File Sharing - Cannot see file on remote computer

Hi, Two of us are trying to share a file from MACs OS X using FileMaker Pro 11. We are NOT on same network, but one Mac has a network and the client Mac does not.

Question 1: Should we use FileMaker Network or Web Sharing?

Question 2: Should we use port 80, or 591, or 5003?

Question 3: Should we be looking at subnets?

Question 4: Should the file appear automatically in the Open Remote LOCAL HOST or FAVORITE HOST? (nothing appears). Or should the client write the host name and file name in the path area? If client does this, the file doesn't open.

Would appreciate a lot of help. I'm going around in circles here. Thanks.

• 1. Re: File Sharing - Cannot see file on remote computer
          philmodjunk

Q1 FileMaker Network

Q2 Depends on your network and your server. Either 80 or 591 should work

Q3 Shouldn't be an issue in and of its own but could be a factor in Q4

Q4 Since you are not on the same network, you may not see the server listed in the Local Host pane. (The host isn't local when it's not on the same network.) Instead, you may need to enter an IP address or DNS to the server. If you are not on the same network, that may require entering the IP address of the host computer's internet router rather than the host computer's and the internet router would then use port forwarding to forward that connection to the host computer. You may need to check with someone who fully understands the network issues here when you say you are not on the same network.

How have you set up the file to be hosted? Is it hosted on one computer by opening it with FileMaker Pro and the other user is then using Open Remote to find and open the files hosted on the first computer?

Here's link to some info posted by DavidAnders that may help:Accessing a database remotely between two sites

• 2. Re: File Sharing - Cannot see file on remote computer
            Tiver

Wow! Thanks for the prompt reply. We did set up the file to be hosted by opening it with FileMaker Pro and the client is then using Open Remote. But nothing shows up. Then there are only 3 options: Local Host, Favorite Host and Hosts Listed by LDAP. But there is a box entitled Network File Path with an example - fmnet:/hostIPAddress/fileName. I've done that and added it. But I still don't see the file. 

When I say we are not on the same network, I could be talking about you and me. We're not on the same network but I believe FileMaker should still let us share a database file.

• 3. Re: File Sharing - Cannot see file on remote computer
              philmodjunk

It can be done, but 'not on the same network' could describe two people on different sub nets connecting within the same LAN or one person could be in New York and the other in San Francisco. Either way, connection is possible, but the exact steps may be a bit different.

• 4. Re: File Sharing - Cannot see file on remote computer
                Tiver

Wow! Thanks for the prompt reply. We did set up the file to be hosted by opening it with FileMaker Pro and the client is then using Open Remote. But nothing shows up. Then there are only 3 options: Local Host, Favorite Host and Hosts Listed by LDAP. But there is a box entitled Network File Path with an example - fmnet:/hostIPAddress/fileName. I've done that and added it. But I still don't see the file. 

When I say we are not on the same network, I could be talking about you and me. We're not on the same network but I believe FileMaker should still let us share a database file.

• 5. Re: File Sharing - Cannot see file on remote computer
                  Tiver

Hi PhilModJunk, You were right. Since we're not on a network, we need to use port forwarding. FileMaker Pro should make this clearer in their Support Documentation. For other users who have this problem go to "Cannot see or connect to a FileMaker hosted file on a remote network." Thanks again for your help.