6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 8:22 AM by TSGal

File sharing in Filemaker pro

dss

Title

File sharing in Filemaker pro

Hi all,

I have a problem with file sharing. The problem is -

I have a server and some users around, When i have no files open on file maker pro, it still shows some available files open in open remote at users end.

I can see the host address of my server, when i click open remote on server. and it shows some files available, even though i have no open files there.

I wish not to see the files that i have'nt opened on server, when i do the open remote thing.

And i want to see the files which are opened on server from systems around the server, when they do a OPEN REMOTE from their system.

Thanks

DSS 

• 1. Re: File sharing in Filemaker pro
          TSGal

dss:

Thank you for your post.

Somehow, your machine is still displaying information that the files are open.  Are the external users able to access the files?  If so, then you do have files open on FileMaker Pro.  If FileMaker Pro is open, pull down the Window menu and see if any files are still open (but hidden) under "Show Window".

If FileMaker Pro is closed, could you have FileMaker Server active on the same machine hosting files?

Any additional information you could provide may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: File sharing in Filemaker pro
            dss

Yes, the other users are able to open some of the files.

After much struggle i came to know that the files in the following location are only shown as available files.

library->filemaker server->data->databases->files 

I have replaced them with the files i need, and then the users are able to see the files i copied in to that location,

but one thing which i want is,

the users should be able to access  files ONLY when i open them on the server, 

but not all the files that are available  under  library->filemaker server->data->databases->files 

Thanks a lot,

DSS 

• 3. Re: File sharing in Filemaker pro
              dss

My machine also shows a error message as,

Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using Filemaker Pro on this computer.

I made sure, logging into everyones account and turn off the file sharing from those accounts, but still gets this error message.

DSS 

• 4. Re: File sharing in Filemaker pro
                TSGal

dss:

Of the files that are not opening, close them in FileMaker Server.  Then, open each of those individually.  Pull down the File Menu and select "Sharing -> FileMaker Network...", and turn on Network Sharing.  Select the file in the bottom left area under "Currently open files", and set Network access to "All users."  Do this for each of the files.  When finished, quit FileMaker Pro and open the files again in FileMaker Server.  The other users should now be able to remotely access the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: File sharing in Filemaker pro
                  dss

When i open some files in FM and turn on file sharing to ON, it says that the file is currently shared by other user, and the file cannot be shared.

the files under

library->filemaker server->data->databases->files 

are shared all the times, irrespective of me opening and closing them.

i tried trash all the files under library->filemaker server->data->databases->files  and opened new files and turned file sharing to on

it does not show any files under open remote 

Urgent help needed

Thanks

DSS 

• 6. Re: File sharing in Filemaker pro
                    TSGal

dss:

Thank you for the additional information.

It sounds like you did not close the files in FileMaker Server.  Try quitting FileMaker Server, and then open the files with FileMaker Pro.

If you removed the files from the Database directory, be sure you put the new files in the same directory before starting FileMaker Server.  Otherwise, the files will not be hosted, and they will not be visible.

Confirm the files are open by going into Admin Console.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.