1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 6:29 AM by TomPingel

file sharing issue

TomPingel

Title

file sharing issue

I have very little experience with file sharing, and none recently.

I will not be using FM server, but will be accessing a host database from an ipad with FMgo.

I'm trying to test the remote open on my macbook. I open the host db in FM13 Advanced and the client file in FM Pro 12 (both on the MacBook).  Both files have File Sharing turned on. Both files are running. Neither file 'sees' the other one when using 'local hosts' (both show the same 'host').

Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: file sharing issue
          philmodjunk

Have you enabled the files for sharing? Each file needs to have "all users" specfied for it in the sharing window after you have first opened them.

• 2. Re: file sharing issue
            TomPingel

Yes - both sharing windows look like this image

• 3. Re: file sharing issue
              philmodjunk

But you have the "Don't display in Open Remote File dialog" option selected. That's the very dialog where you are looking for these files and not finding them. Bring them back up in this dialog, select each in turn and clear this check box.

• 4. Re: file sharing issue
                TomPingel

Thanks. I thought that meant not to display the current file, not the shared files.

All is good now - as long as I open the host file first.

Thanks again

• 5. Re: file sharing issue
                  Sorbsbuster

Are you trying to have one file, accessible from two places?  Or have you two files: "I open the host db in FM13 Advanced and the client file in FM Pro 12 (both on the MacBook)"?  I don't think that description is correct, as I don't think you will be able to run two instances of filesharing on the one Mac.

If you are trying to have one file on your MacBook which will be accessible by another user (iPad or MacBook, or Windows PC) then you install the file on the MacBook, open it, have sharing enabled (as per your screenshot), and it will be accessible to all users on your network.  (If you are going to access it from outside your network there is more work to do.)  You do not need to have a copy of the file on each device.

• 6. Re: file sharing issue
                    TomPingel

There is one FM file on the 'host' computer and another on an ipad.

What I need to do is upload data from the 'host' computer onto the ipad. The ipad is then taken into the 'field' where internet access is not available (so processing can not be done in a 'shared' mode on the 'host' computer). The 'field tech' uses FM Go to update the data on the ipad during the day then downloads the updated data to the 'host' at the end of the day upon return to the office. There may be multiple 'techs' each with their own ipad that needs to be updated with their own data each morning.

When trying to do the upload from the ipad, I remote-open the 'host' file  but control is then passed to the host. I don't seem to be able to pass control back to the client file to import the new data to the ipad.

How do I pass control back to the 'client' program after remote-opening the host - keeping the host data available to the client?

• 7. Re: file sharing issue
                      Sorbsbuster

We developed a solution to do what you are describing.  It is an immensely complex task to set up the synchronising of multiple data sources into or via one central database.  I don't quite understand what you mean by 'passing control'.  If you have both files open on the iPad you can manually or via a script make either file do whatever you want.  Open the file (manually or via a script) and make that file import the records, etc or whatever you want it to do.  You can make a script jump to the other file and perform a script in it, for example.

• 8. Re: file sharing issue
                        TomPingel

That's what I was hoping to be able to do. When I remote-open the host from the ipad (actually a 2nd licensed FM Pro on my computer while I'm developing), I have a 'perform script' in the opening script of the host to run a script back in the ipad (screen shot attached).  This fails as it tells me the file is not open. But both files appear to be open (screen shot attached). The result is that I'm left in the host database when I want to left in the client (ipad).

I'm confused!

• 9. Re: file sharing issue
                          TomPingel

I guess I can't upload 2 files! Here's the first

• 10. Re: file sharing issue
                            Sorbsbuster

And when you open the Host File and check the Script step 'Perform Script' does it still say <unknown>?  The location of the file with the destination script has to be the same when you created the script, and when you run it.  Which will change when you move on to the iPad, and will be different again for every other Client File that connects to the Host database.

Sync'ing data back and forward between several devices is very difficult, in any database (and FM is probably one of the better and easier ones)

In this example I would suggest you drive the script from the local file (as it will always know where it is itself) and then call a remote script on the Host file (as it will always be in the same place for every 'foreign' device.)  Just from my experience, anyway.

• 11. Re: file sharing issue
                              TomPingel

I was afraid of that.

Your comment:

In this example I would suggest you drive the script from the local file (as it will always know where it is itself) and then call a remote script on the Host file (as it will always be in the same place for every 'foreign' device.)  Just from my experience, anyway.

I'm not sure I understand.

1) Do you mean doing the scripting for upload/download on the client device? And pull/push the data from/to the host computer on the client? That's what I was trying to do. But when I  'open remote' the host to make its data accessible to the client, that's when FM leaves me in the 'host' database with apparently no way to 'script' my way back to the file on the client database. If this is what you meant, other than having the person on the client device go to the 'Window' menu and click the client file (which is an unacceptable solution), how would they get back to the file on the client device to execute the push/pull?

2) Or did you mean initiating everything from the host computer? Choose the correct device when doing an 'open remote' on the host and executing scripts on the host to push/pull data to/from the client?  That, I think would work but is not likely to be acceptable to my user.

The latter would mean the 'tech' can't upload their daily schedule when they come into the office - they will have to ask the office folks to do that for them. And then when returning ask the office folks to download the updates (assuming the office folks are still there). Not the best of situations.

I'm developing a prototype to replace their current system. Don't know what platform it uses, but the techs just have to click a 'sync' button on their android to refresh their devices to take to the field. I saw it in action.  This may be a deal killer if I can't figure out how to make option 1) above work. Can it?

• 12. Re: file sharing issue
                                Sorbsbuster

In principle you could have:
                                Host File
                                - Script 1:  'Import Records To Host From Client' (Does whatever you want to do with the import from the 'Field Devices' file)

Client Devices
                                - Script 1:  'Import Records From Host to Client' (Does whatever you want to do with the import to the 'Field Devices')
                                - Script 2: Perform External Script [ File: Host ; Script 1 ]

The local ('Client') file will be used to run its Script 1 and 2.  It always knows where it is itself, so that is no problem, and you link each Client Device to the same Host file (defined in 'Manage Data Sources'), so the same script will work on any device.

Are you planning to send records and updates both ways?
                                Are records updated on the remote device uploaded to the central file?
                                Are records added or modified on the Central file updated to the Client?
                                Are records updated on one client pushed through to the Central file, and then pushed out to the other devices, so at the point of synchronisation all clients look the same as the Central file?
                                Could a record on the client file be updated (off-line) and meantime the matching record on the Host file is updated?
                                Could the same record be updated off-line on two Client files?
                                Can a record be created on a Client file (ie: a new record not yet present on the Host file at the next point of synchronisation)?

• 13. Re: file sharing issue
                                  TomPingel

Your note gave me an epiphany!  Just the words 'Manage Data Sources' made me think. I had not defined the external reference to the host at all. Once I used an fmnet:/<ip>/<filename> I got access to the data in the host and I think my issue has gone away. I now have access to the data/scripts/etc. in the host file from the client. I don't need to 'open remote' from the client at all (at least I don't think so at this point). The references to IPs in earlier notes in this thread now make sense.

I think I'm over the hump.

I do want to answer your questions though:

Are you planning to send records and updates both ways?

yes
                                  Are records updated on the remote device uploaded to the central file?

yes
                                  Are records added or modified on the Central file updated to the Client?

yes
                                  Are records updated on one client pushed through to the Central file, and then pushed out to the other devices, so at the point

of synchronisation all clients look the same as the Central file?

no
                                  Could a record on the client file be updated (off-line) and meantime the matching record on the Host file is updated?

not likely. that could be controlled by marking those records in the host that have been uploaded to a client device
                                  Could the same record be updated off-line on two Client files?

no
                                  Can a record be created on a Client file (ie: a new record not yet present on the Host file at the next point of synchronisation)?

I don't think so - will have to check with user

Thanks for sticking with me through this. It's been very helpful.  Adios - for now.

• 14. Re: file sharing issue
                                    Sorbsbuster

That makes it much easier than our scenario, then.  We had a 'Service Engineers' scenario where:

- The Engineers collected their Job List from the Central File
                                    - They sent back the work details they done on previously-collected Jobs
                                    - If they went to a site that another engineer had worked on previously they wanted access to that Engineer's work notes (hence the need for all Clients having the same data, Peer-Central-Peer.)
                                    - while at the site they may notice another job to be done, so they would raise it there, and it would be sent back to the Central File
                                    - a Job may be allocated to an Engineer, then before they can complete it, it could be re-allocated to another Engineer
                                    - the Job could be updated to the Central File, but in the meantime an admin person at HQ had updated another aspect of the Job Record.

You may find SeedCode's GoZync worth looking at.  It is exactly your scenario it was designed for.

1 2 Previous Next