3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 9:30 AM by philmodjunk

File without password , now requesting password ???

RicardoKhan

Title

File without password , now requesting password ???

Hi all

I have a problem with a fm4 runtime file. It was working without any problems then all of a sudden it started asking me for a password.

The file is not set to open requesting a password , one can just open the file, but last week one day it just started asking me for a password. There are some accounts in the file and even though I know the passwords for these accounts, the file is not accepting it.

I am not sure if the file is corrupted, or if the priviledges are corrupted , or what the actual problem is.
           I need to get the data out of this file quite urgently, so if there is somebody that can assist me , it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you

• 1. Re: File without password , now requesting password ???
          philmodjunk

in FileMaker 4, each table must be defined in it's own file with its own password. Perhaps the password dialog is popping up when a file reference to such an additinal fike is attempting to open it.

• 2. Re: File without password , now requesting password ???
            RicardoKhan

Hi Phil

Yes I am aware of this but it is definitely not trying to open another file.

I have copied the file to a machine that has no referenced files on it and it is still doing the same things.

Im not sure if this is possible but it looks a bit like the permission within the file has somehow become corrupted.

I have tried the following:
                 recovery fm4

fm11 - converted and recovered - recovery does not complain about any errors in the file.

fm12 - converted and recovered - recovery does not complain about any errors in the file.

I have tried removing the passwords using filmaker key etc. which says it was successful in removing the passwords but when I try to open the file it still asks for a password. 

• 3. Re: File without password , now requesting password ???
              philmodjunk

Any password definitions are part of the file so copying it to another computer will not change the file's behavior.

Generally speaking, corruption in this area almost always results in an error message and a file that cannot be recovered so while possible, it's not the most likely explanation.

By any chance are you a Mac user? Mac has this OS widget called "keychain" that can automatically open a password protected file with the password stored in the keychain widget. Since this is specific to the file by name, it will open the original file without your seeing a password log in, but the converted file will then trigger a request for a password when you open it.

And passwords in FileMaker 11 and 12 require both an account name and a password. To open a file converted from an older copy (fileMaker 6 or older), requires entering the password as the account name and then also as the password. In many cases, the converted file can also be opened if you enter admin as the account name and you leave the password box empty.

Once you have the file open with a full access password, you can go to file options and manage | security and change the accounts and passwords specified for your file.