3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 10:09 PM by philmodjunk

file won't export from container

nolak37

Title

file won't export from container

fmp 11 tried it on a mac and a pc

I have a solution with a container field and there are files scanned in and uploaded to the container via drag and drop.

most files can be exported and opened however there are a few files that I can view by enlarging the container field and zooming in but the option to export the field contents is grayed out and I cant find a way to open it.

has anyone encountered this before, is there any way to recover this information other than having to make a layout with a page sized container and printing it? i find the quality is really bad when I do this.

Thanks

P.S. the file type is either pdf or xps we use both and only random files are experiencing this issue

• 1. Re: file won't export from container
          philmodjunk

there are files scanned in and uploaded to the container via drag and drop.

any file inserted in FMP 11 container fields via drag and drop result in the file be inserted as an embedded object. If you use Insert Object on a windows system, you get the same results and as far as I know, drag and drop can't be done with FMP 11 on a Mac system. (except to drag an drop from another container field.)

The only way to export these files is open the database on a windows system and double click the file. This is a manual, one container field file at a time operation--which is probably why FileMaker 12 no longer supports Insert Object. (Drag and drop works in v12 for mac and windows, but is the same as insert file with the 'save a reference' option unselected.)

• 2. Re: file won't export from container
            nolak37

there are a large amount of records that need to be exported and doing them one at a time manually will take long however if thats the way to go then thats what ill have to do, only other issue is that it takes a long time to go from one record to the next (about 30+ seconds) I then right click and select open acrobat document.

Is there any way i can make this faster? the records load much faster if i remove the container from the Layout but then I have no way to double click or right click>>open acrobat document.

• 3. Re: file won't export from container
              philmodjunk

Not as Far As I Know. When I discovered that you can't export OLE objects from a container field, I stopped using this feature and stopped recommending it to others.