5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 7:47 PM by GregRobins

Filemaker 10 files no longer visible across network

GregRobins

Title

Filemaker 10 files no longer visible across network

I just upgraded my router to a Linksys wired router and made no changes to my PC network. I was able to run a FileMaker file on FM 10 on a machine and Open Remote from 2 others (all Windows XP SP2). Since the new router went into place, I can't see the running FileMaker file, despite a full network restart.

I've turned off the firewalls to see if that was it the problem (there were off to start with).

Can anyone help? My office is paralyzed!

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Filemaker 10 files no longer visible across network
          GregRobins
             Just to add to my post - I had two techs try to help me. One thought it was a leftover IP from the old router, the other thought a firewall issue. Neither could resolve it using those suspicions.
          • 2. Re: Filemaker 10 files no longer visible across network
            TSGal

GregRobins:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro uses port 5003 to see files remotely, so make sure the router has port 5003 open.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker 10 files no longer visible across network
              GregRobins

Hi, and  thanks. I did set the router to allow for that port in relation to that machine's IP, but still no-go. Oddly, I can Open Remote on a test file between two other machines on the network, however they can probably see one another via a switch that's connected to the router.

I'm going to try and connect the problem machine to the switch today to see if these machines can see the files to "Open Remote".

On a PC, is there a FM "preference file" I can delete? (I'm such a Mac snob).

I don't want to reinstall the FileMaker software because it seems my Maintenance version of FileMaker 10 has expired so it forces me back to FileMaker 9.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 10 files no longer visible across network
                TSGal

GregRobins:

Thanks for the information.

If two machines can see each other on the network, physically replace that machine with the machine that isn't working and see if that works.  If this works, then the network and router are probably not configured correctly at the secondary location.  If this doesn't work, then there is a system issue, and you should compare the systems to determine what is different.

The Preferences for FileMaker Pro 10 running Windows is located in the Registry.  This can be found in:

My Computer -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> FileMaker -> FileMaker Pro -> 10.0 -> Preferences

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 10 files no longer visible across network
                  GregRobins

Thanks, TSGal.

I managed to solve the problem (for now) by bypassing the router and having the host machine plug into a nearby switch. Long term, though, I do need to fix the issue because I can't be sure I'll always be able to bypass the router. I'll tinker sometime soon with the suggested registry files.

Greg