1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 1:23 PM by philmodjunk

FileMaker 11 client crashes when using database on FileMaker 8 server

TomObernesser

Title

FileMaker 11 client crashes when using database on FileMaker 8 server

Hello,

We recently upgraded some of our Mac users (about 24) from FileMaker 9 clients to FM 11. We have a FM 8 server on a Mac, one of users FM 11 crashes several times a day. He is also the heaviest user of FM. There doesn't seem to be a particular trigger to the crash. We have reinstalled FM 11 on his computer 3 times now, still crashes.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? No one else has even had one crash. We plan on upgrading the FM server next spring, I'm guessing that might fix it, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas in the meantime.

Thanks in advance and please let me know if you need more information. 

• 1. Re: FileMaker 11 client crashes when using database on FileMaker 8 server
          philmodjunk

I'd check the file on the server for possible corruption. I'd take a recent back up copy and use Filemaker 11 to run a recover on it and see if it has any problems. Since he's the "heaviest user" he may be encountering an issue with the database that others do not. The issue may only be apparent for FileMaker 11 users also...

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.