2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2012 9:37 AM by keith

Filemaker 11 Crashing

keith

Title

Filemaker 11 Crashing

Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Filemaker 11.0v4. Home / Small Business DB. No extras (Plug Ins, etc.) added to FM.

Plenty of Backups but Table Layouts etc. changed recently, i.e. I feel I would have to go back to a quite old backup with previous Tables etc., to try to avoid a faulty version.

Crashing started a few weeks ago and initially I thought it was one of those things. Unable to establish a pattern except it seems to happen more if I am altering Layouts. Having said that, I am fairly sure it happened once when I was actoally in another program - could of course have been a delay after exiting FM. At least once, it crashed and changed names of a few field labels, e.g. Name became Website. It has also happened when requesting a simple Find (Command-F). Can crash several times in an hour.

The following is the start of about 14 pages of the Crash Report.

Process: FileMaker Pro [893]
      Path: /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/FileMaker Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
      Identifier: com.filemaker.client.pro
      Version: 11.0.4 (11.0.4)
      Code Type: X86 (Native)
      Parent Process: launchd [117]

Date/Time: 2011-12-04 11:01:56.469 +0000
      OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) 
      Report Version: 6 

Interval Since Last Report: 122655 sec
      Crashes Since Last Report: 20 
      Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 119083 sec 
      Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 20 
      Anonymous UUID: 6BA21FAE-53B0-42E4-BDC9-BA5B0C39FEEB 

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
      Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000f8000020 
      Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread 

Application Specific Information:
      objc_msgSend() selector name: release

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
      0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x9560ef87 objc_msgSend + 23
      1 com.apple.Foundation 0x92d88ee8 -[NSConcreteHashTable dealloc] + 40
      2 com.apple.AppKit 0x90bd5979 -[_NSModelObservingTracker clearAllModelObjectObserving] + 365
      3 com.apple.AppKit 0x90d29a9b -[NSSelectionBinder _adjustObject:mode:observedController:observedKeyPath:context:editableState:adjustState:] + 839
      4 com.apple.AppKit 0x90bfeccf -[NSValueBinder _observeValueForKeyPath:ofObject:context:] + 280

Any thoughts where I should start?

Thanks    Keith

• 1. Re: Filemaker 11 Crashing
          philmodjunk

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
          Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

What is reported when you recover the file?
          The file could be damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
          That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 2. Re: Filemaker 11 Crashing
            keith

Update and conclusion which may help someone else with a similar problem.

I was reluctantly resigned to using a back up but decided to have a final attempt at identifying the crash pattern. More by luck than judgement, I made it crash consistently within around 5 attempts at switching between Browse and Layout. However, I didn't know what to think as it had previously been crashing in both modes anyway.

I can't remember why but I magnified the view and therefore could not see all fields etc. Luck struck again as crashes reduced depending on the screen view. I then established that crashes stopped if I could not see the Header.

I reset the screen to normal but dragged the Header items to the side and out of view. I could no longer make it crash - utter relief! However, I was surprised as the items were a mixture of simple buttons to Go To other layouts and Global fields with a small amount of text in each.

I created all the items again as it was probably quicker than trying to identify the culprit(s).

That was over 3 months ago with no further crashes.

Thanks

Keith