14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 11:10 AM by storywizard

Filemaker 11 runtime problems

ralvy

Title

Filemaker 11 runtime problems

I have a FMPA 10 solution I have enhanced with FMPA 11, though without adding any FMPA 11 specific features. I find that the runtime for this solution that FMPA 11 creates works fine on my XP SP3 box, but it won't even load on my wife's Vista box. There Windows error message I get is this following:

ordinal 6848 could not be loacted in the dynamic link library mfc90u.dll

Can anyone explain this? I do notice that FMPA 11 creates fewer dll files than FMPA 10 when creating a runtime solution. In fact, the folder called Microsoft.VC80.MFC (where mfc80u.dll is found), created by FMPA 10 during runtime creation, has no correlate in a FMPA 11 runtime solution.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
          casey777

Seems like Runtime solutions will run on PCs with Filemaker Pro installed. I have also had similar problems with version 11 and have gone back to creating them in 10 for now. Check through this forum for several other posts about this problem. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
            ralvy

Do you worry about recreating the runtime with FMPA 10 after development has taken place with FMPA 11 on that solution file? I'm hoping that since I added no FMPA 11 specific features to the file, this will be okay.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
              casey777

Open, change something if you want like the version references in your contact page, and close your solution in 10. Then using 10 create the runtime. Since you did not add any 11 features, it should be fine. 

• 4. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                Contour

What FileMaker has apparently done -- without notifying us of their methods or reasons -- is to delink FM 11 from the specific C++ libraries required for the execution of built runtimes on target machines.

In FMP 10.0, FileMaker added three subdirectories to built runtimes:
                     Microsoft.VC80.CRT
                     Microsoft.VC80.MFC
                     Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC
                Those directories are now gone in FM 11, yet FM 11 has to have the newer V90 versions to run. 

What they added is the obscure requirement that runtime users install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)" in order to get a runtime application to work.  This requires administrator access and will intimidate the average PC user.  Unless FileMaker can come forward with a very valid reason, then I say they've shirked their responsibility and damaged the viability of their product.  This may well mean the end of creating "bubble wrap" runtime solutions with FileMaker.  "Trouble free" installations will be a thing of the past.

Here's a link into the technical side:  msdn link

I first discovered this situation when I got the "application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000xxx)" error.  Others have reported the "application configuration is incorrect" error.  They're all indicative of the same missing libraries.

I'm investigating the possibility of bundling the needed modules with a runtime, but this excerpt is particularly troubling:
                "Visual C++ libraries cannot be used by C/C++ applications without a manifest binding the application to these libraries."

It's a bit of an outrage, actually, that they made such major shift without consulting developers and considering the impact.  Hundreds, if not thousands, of people are going to fall right into this hole that they've created.  Think of the time that will be wasted.

A clear explanation -- and some assistance with this -- is certainly not too much to ask from FileMaker.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                  casey777

Thank you Contour for your detailed explanation. 

• 6. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                    braxton

Here is the download page for the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86).  Anyone want to install and report if it's solving their runtime issues?

• 7. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                      dashmaul

I've tried installing the above file aswell, but am still getting the ordinal error.

Any more tips? :manindifferent:

• 8. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                        braxton

Have you tried contacting FM tech support?  I would be interested in what they say.  I wonder if it is a bug here or a design issue as mentioned above or both.

• 9. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                          Contour

Braxton wrote:

Have you tried contacting FM tech support?  I would be interested in what they say.  I wonder if it is a bug here or a design issue as mentioned above or both.

It's beginning to leak out that FMI is aware of the two catastrophic problems with FM11 on PCs.  These are top level issues to be addressed by the design team and the product manager.  It's past the point where mid-level technical discussions can be of benefit.

FileMaker 11 is broken.  It needs to be fixed ASAP. 

It's now been 30 days -- and counting -- with no formal acknowledgement.  By not openly addressing the two huge problems (flickering and unusable runtimes), FMI is widening the circle of impact on PC developers.

We all need to get the word out to others.  Else, it's like watching migrating birds fly into freshly-cleaned plate glass windows.  None of us should wish this on anyone else.  Nor should FileMaker, Inc.  Collectively, we've lost hundreds of hours already.

• 10. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                            LeoB

I bought FMP10 Adv less than 30 days before FMP11 came out.  I had no idea a new version was in the offing or I might have waited.

Anyway, when FMP11 came out and I found that it was going to cost much money to upgrade, I was bummed.  But, now I am ever so glad I did.  The database I'm working on must be a runtime solution AND on Windows.

That old saying, "He who hesitates is lost." sometimes isn't true!

• 11. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                              braxton

Funny, I am using 9 and was thinking of calling FM and seeing if I could just buy an upgrade to 10.

• 12. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                                JoshO.

LeoB,

If you purchased 10 less than 30 days ago...you should be able to get the 11 upgrade for free.  Then you will have both.

• 13. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                                  LeoB

I had checked into that -- I missed it by five days.

Thanks.

• 14. Re: Filemaker 11 runtime problems
                                    storywizard

has there been a fix on this yet? I just tried to make a runtime with FM11 advanced, had to go back to FM10 to make it work...

Story